Tag Archives: travel
The city of Lagos, Portugal has had a very long and chequered history. Thanks to its large natural harbour the area has been settled and inhabited for many thousands of years, starting with the Phoenicians, then the Carthaginians, then of course the Romans and following them the Moors. Due to its important geographical location and harbour it acted as the capital of the Algarve region for about two hundred years between the 16th and the 18th century until it was severely damaged during the 1755 earthquake which caused the government to move its seat to nearby Faro.
What started as a quiet and very elegant resort back in the 1930s only started to develop at a major rate once cheaper flights started to be offered in the 1970s, which in turn spurred on a boom in apartments being built, and steadily and surely Praia da Rocha became the region’s second-largest resort town.
There are basically two types of travelers in the world: those who haven’t been to the Algarve yet, and those who return there year after year, but what exactly makes the latter do this?
Lisbon, Portugal’s capital
Lisbon is the capital of Portugal, a city located on the edge of the Atlantic Ocean and set on seven hills, as the legend says. The city is characterized by a particular type of charm which stems mostly from it’s strong links to its past as well as the presence of water as a defining element.
Are you considering visiting the Algarve by any chance?
Get a quick idea of what you should expect from your holiday trip to the Algarve, the region’s main characteristics, features and attractions, it’s so much more than simply sunny weather and white beaches.
The Algarve – one of the most popular holiday destinations in Europe
The Algarve region of Portugal is one of the most famous holiday destinations in Europe and in the world. It’s well-known for its award winning sandy beaches, plenty of sunshine, great food and just being a great place for many types of tourists, whether you’re into water sports, a nature lover, or you’re going there with your family, the Algarve has something to offer.
France is one of the most popular tourist destinations on the planet. People from around the globe have found this to be a wonderful place to visit. The following are just some of the reasons why people choose France as their holiday destination.
- The whole world envy’s France their sophisticated culture. They just seem to know how to do things in a certain way that makes many of us want to emulate them. The French just seem to have chic down to a tee with little or no effort whereas the rest of us struggle with it. A shopping trip in France is perfect for the shopaholic.
- France has so many different types of scenery and geographical features. You can visit the French Alps and enjoy the snow or go down south and enjoy the Rivera. There are unique features and attractions in almost every part of France.
- The infrastructure in France is great and it is really easy to travel around the country. The rail network is magnificent and the high speed rail networks mean that it takes little or no time to get from one side of the country to the other. The French roads are also easy to drive on.
- French food is admired around the world and you have to go there to sample the real thing. You will be able to sample many different dishes no matter what part of the country you are in; the choice really is very broad. French cheese is also something that you should try as well.
- Wine is another thing the French are famous for and there really are so many options that you will probably find it quite confusing knowing which ones to choose. Make sure that you bring a few bottles back with you; wine is surprisingly cheap in France.